The Relaunch of a Legend
born Dec 31, 1867
died Sep 4, 1946
born April 24, 1873
died June 16, 1944
A Swedish family left their home in the late 19th century to seek their fortune - like many Europeans at the time - in the new world. Chicago became the new home of luthiers Carl and August Larson. Until the early 1940s, the brothers created a rich legacy of high-quality stringed instruments.
The Larsons invented a number of new design and construction features like laminated bracing, the metal support rods in Prairie State instruments and the manufacturing of guitar top and back under tension.
They worked for the notable guitar manufacturers of their time: Maurer, Stetson, Lyon & Healey, Washburn, Stahl, Regal, Dyer, Euphonon, Orville Gibson and others.
Many of the technical innovations developed by Carl and August Larson were soon patented and became standard features in modern guitar manufacturing. Today, few people know that it was the Larson Brothers who set these standards and helped acoustic guitars achieve dimensions of sound that were previously unavailable.
When Carl Johan Larson passed away in 1946 he left no heir to continue the brothers‘ legacy. A remarkable number of patents, drawings, drafts and never-realized ideas were left untouched for more than sixty years. It seemed as if this remarkable treasure trove would remain undiscovered and disappear into oblivion.
It took years of research before, in 2007, the first instruments consistent with the character, sound and looks of the original Larson Guitars were being built again.
In 2013, the new Larson workshop is built in Boutier Saint-Trojan/France in cooperation with one of Europe’s most distinguished luthiers, Maurice Dupont. There, in the western region of France, guitars are being built whose sound, construction technique and method are a far cry from the mainstream - new Larson Guitars.